SRC Health Recovery Shorts
- Created in consultation with an obstetrician
- Designed to speed up post pregnancy recovery – whether after a caesarean section or vaginal birth
- Made from breathable materials to keep you comfortable, dry and cool even in warmer climates
- Recommended by healthcare professionals for their ability to improve mobility and pelvic muscle function
- Anatomical support panels deliver targeted compression to treat conditions such as perineal wounds and diastasis of rectus abdominis muscles (DRAM) after pregnancy.
Recover Quicker and Enjoy the Early Days of Motherhood
Pregnancy is a wonderful time in a woman’s life and those first weeks as a mother are precious and should be cherished. It can be very difficult to feel that way however, if you are suffering from pain and discomfort associated with a C-Section delivery, or you have perineal damage or wounds.
Caring for your new-born baby is challenging enough when you consider how much lifting, feeding and bathing they require. You are their only form of survival, but it can be very difficult to care for a tiny human being when you need care yourself.
Thoughtfully Designed by Experts
Extensive research has gone in to creating the SRC Health Recovery Shorts with input from leading obstetricians, gynaecologists, women’s health physiotherapists and midwives, to create a range of products that support your body throughout pregnancy and speed up your recovery after birth.
The SRC Health Recovery Shorts are endorsed by the Australian Physiotherapy Association.
They have separate panels which provide targeted care for each area of the body that may be affected by pregnancy.
- Back Panel: Supporting your back from T2 (the upper back between the shoulders) down to L5 (the lower back above the coccyx).
- Abdominal panel: Supporting recovery from muscle separation (DRAM).
- Gusset Panel: Supporting the gusset from front to back following a vaginal birth that has resulted in perineal trauma and/or stitches, or a c-section.
- Leg Panel: Designed to encourage blood flow back to the heart.
Encouraging Healthy Blood Flow for a Speedy Recovery
Whether you have a vaginal birth or a c-section, there will always be an element of healing required following pregnancy. Vaginal tears or planned surgical incisions are common and because they are inside the vagina they can take longer to heal and cause great discomfort. The SRC Health Pregnancy Leggings can be worn after childbirth as a compression garment to encourage blood flow and speed up healing. The leggings work by preventing the veins expanding, thus ensuring even blood flow which prevents blood flowing backwards causing congestion. After a c-section you are at greater risk of developing a blood clot, compression garments are recommended by health professionals to eliminate this risk. If you have experienced tearing or a perineal incision during labour, or you are recovering from a c-section, healthy blood flow is vital for repairing those wounds. Wounds cannot heal without continuous blood flowing to the area of issue, this is because the white cells found in the blood are responsible for the production on collagen - the protein that grows new skin cells and allows healing.
The quicker the recovery of a wound the less chance of infection, and the sooner you recover the sooner you can start enjoying all the beauty, wonder and amazement of motherhood.
Discreet and Comfortable
The garment has been designed to feel like a second skin with no adjustable fasteners. Made from superior, breathable materials you can comfortably wear the shorts under your clothing knowing they are discreet whilst also helping you recover day by day. You can also purchase the SRC Recovery Shorts Mini Length if you want to wear them under shorter skirts or shorts in the warmer months.
What Are the Benefits of Using Recovery Shorts?
Studies have shown that gentle, medical-grade compression avoids muscle deactivation, prevents further tissue expansion and helps to encourage blood flow back to the heart. The SRC Recovery Shorts deliver cross compression through multi-layered support panels, providing consistent and anatomically targeted compression during movement. The shorts are made from a lightweight wicking fabric that eliminates odour, is breathable, comfortable and dry; and works to keep you cool even during the summer months and the flatlock seams increase comfort and prevent wound aggravation. The materials used are designed to be durable with the ability to stretch and recover after wearing and washing. This means you can wear the shorts for as long as you need to fully recover from your birthing experience, and afterwards for aesthetic purposes due to their ability to hold you in, in much the same way control underwear does.
Post-Birth Diastasis Rectus Abdominus
53% of women suffer from Diastasis Rectus Abdominus Muscle (DRAM) following the birth of their child. DRAM is a condition whereby the centre gap between the stomach muscles doesn't close after you have given birth. For 36% of women, this abnormally large gap can remain for 5-7 weeks and for others, their muscles might never completely return to normal unless they are assisted. There are two things that can help to close this gap:
- Specific abdominal exercises prescribed by your healthcare provider; and
- Compression to the area
The top front panel on these shorts supports the upper and lower abdomen, stimulating your muscles to be constantly active and decreasing the distance between the muscle walls.
Post-Birth Lower Back Pain
50% of women suffer from lower back pain in the first few months of motherhood.
Muscle separation and the release of relaxin and progesterone mean your supporting ligaments and muscles are weaker and less supportive. Add to this the physical demands of parenthood and caring for your baby can be difficult and painful. To help alleviate your lower back pain you can try:
- Engaging in specific exercises recommended by your doctor or health visitor
- Being very aware of your posture all of the time
- Wearing a compression garment; and
- Implementing correct lifting techniques
The back panel on these outstanding recovery shorts has 2 layers to support the upper and lower back; reducing pain and improving mobility and stability.
Recovery Following C-Section and Natural Birth
Around 1 in 4 women in the UK have a caesarean birth. During a c-section, the abdominal muscles are torn and of course, your skin is opened to bring your baby safely into the world. This is, of course, major surgery and your body needs all the help it can get for your recovery.
Following a vaginal birth, 85% of women sustain a perineal trauma and 60-70% have stitches. This can result in pain and difficulty with walking and getting in and out of bed.
Healing and mobility for both a vaginal and caesarean birth are accelerated with rest, ice and compression to these wounds. The SRC recovery shorts work so brilliantly well because:
- The lower front panel/gusset has a double layer providing constant, gentle compression to swollen and sutured intimate areas
- The leg panel encourages good venous return – healthy blood flow is vital to your recovery and your health and safety following major surgery like c-section.
- The abdominal panel supports your healing stomach, whether you have experienced a c-section or vaginal delivery and speeds up healing for any woman experiencing DRAM
- The back panel supports your spine whilst your ligaments and muscles return to normal rigidity and resistance, as your body stops over-producing the hormones relaxin and progesterone
Australian Bounty Baby Award Winner!
The Australian Bounty Baby Awards find the very best products for parents and babies alike. As a winner in the Best Products for Mum in Australia category, SRC are proud to be considered amongst the best and most useful products during and after pregnancy.
Please see sizing information below prior to purchasing your recovery shorts. We recommend you ask for assistance when taking your own measurements to ensure you purchase the correct size. Measure around the hips at their largest area. The tape should sit over the top part of the pubic bone and the biggest part of the bottom and should be touching all the way around but should not be tight.
2X Small: 33 – 34.5 Inches | 84 – 88 Centimetres
X Small: 35 – 36.5 Inches | 89 – 93 Centimetres
Small: 37 – 38.5 Inches | 94 – 98 Centimetres
Medium: 39 – 41 Inches | 99 – 104 Centimetres
Large: 41.5 – 44 Inches | 105 – 112 Centimetres
X Large: 44.5 – 47.5 Inches | 113 – 121 Centimetres
2X Large: 48 – 51 Inches | 112 – 130 Centimetres
|Recommended For||Post-partum recovery following natural or C-section delivery.|
|Can be used with||Healing Natural Oils H-Stretch Marks Formula|
|Included Contents||1 X Recovery Shorts | 1 X instruction/care manual | 1 X Information leaflet|
|Material||Shell: 75% nylon 25% elastane | Lining: 80% nylon 20% elastane|
|Length||The length will differ for each wearer, however on average they sit just above the knees.|
|Washing Instructions||Can be machine washed on a cold water setting|