Premium Sea Pearls Sea Sponge Tampons
- Sea Pearls Premium Sea Sponge Tampons
- Natural sponge tampons made with premium Mediterranean silk sponge
- Available in three sizes and a starter pack
- Washable, reusable and ultra-economical
- Comes with a cotton storage bag
Sea Pearls Premium Sea Sponge Tampons are a beautifully soft, natural way to get you through that 'time of the month'
Sea Pearls Premium Sea Sponge Tampons are not only great for the environment (they last 3-6 months or more, so no more tampons in the landfill!) but they're also fantastic value for money. Made with 100% natural premium Mediterranean Silk sea sponge, Sea Pearls are the ultra-soft and ultra-luxurious counterpart to our fabulous Natural Sea Sponge Tampons.
Sea Pearls Premium Sea Sponge Tampons are designed to work in perfect harmony with your body. Unlike other tampons, they won't have a nasty drying effect, and they can be trimmed to fit you so perfectly, that you won't even know they are there. They can even be worn during sex, so you can enjoy a fulfilling love life, no matter what time of the month it is.
Sea Pearls Premium Sponge Tampons are washable and reusable - to disinfect them, simply soak for 10 minutes in a cup of warm water with either a teaspoon of sea salt or 2 drops of tea tree oil - no more used pads and tampons in the bin! Sea Pearls Premium Sea Sponge Tampons last around 3-6 months but even up to a year depending on how well you look after them.
Sea Pearls are available in a choice of four sizes - small, medium and large.
- Small: 1.5 - 2 inches, absorbs 0.5oz - 1oz of fluid for light days, or for young women new to menstruation
- Medium: 2 - 2.5 inches, absorbs 1 - 2 oz of fluid for regular to heavy days
- Large: 2.5 - 3 inches, absorbs 2 - 3.5+ oz of fluid for your heaviest days
If you are unsure what size will be best for you, or you think that you may need different sizes for different days of your period, we also offer the Sea Pearls Premium Sponge starter pack, which contains one small, one medium and one large sponge - and remember they can always be trimmed for a perfect fit.
If you order the individual size, you will receive two Premium Sea Sponge Tampons in your choice of size, an illustrated instruction booklet and a cotton storage bag. If you order the starter pack, you will receive three Sea Sponge Tampons, one in small, medium and large size, with a cotton storage bag and booklet.
Caring For Your Sponge
Sponges are delicate, so great care should be taken when cleaning and using them. When cared for properly, sponges can last between 3 - 6 months, or even longer. You can use your sponges safely for up to 12 hours at a time.
1. Use a chemical-free, natural soap or soak for 5 - 10 minutes in a cup of warm water with one of the following:
- 2 - 3 drops of tea tree oil
- 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide (this helps to eliminate discoloration)
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1 tbsp of baking soda (this helps to restore density and volume)
2. Rinse sponge and squeeze out the excess water.
- Do not boil your sponge! Boiling toughens and shrinks sea sponges.
- Do not soak your sponges longer than the recommended time as this can cause your sponge to deteriorate faster.
- Do not use harsh chemicals or soaps!
How Often Should Sponges Be Cleaned?
Sea Pearls can be rinsed and reused multiple times and they do not need to be sanitized after each use. We recommend that you clean your sponge:
- Before using for the first time
- Once daily during use
- If the sponge develops an unpleasant odour
- Prior to storing
Sponges should be completely dry before being stored and should be kept in a breathable container or bag.
How To Trim Your Sponge
Once wet, sponges compress and become extremely pliable and soft. If you think your sponge is too large, it can easily be trimmed to a custom size.
- Sponges are easiest to trim when dry but can also be carefully trimmed when wet
- Do not cut your sponge in half as Sea Pearls are trimmed to a specific shape
- Using scissors, trim around the perimeter of the sponge, a little at a time until you reach the desired size. Remember; the more you trim, the less liquid it can absorb.
If the surface of your sponge starts to become ragged, don't tear or rip the sponge; instead, trim the loose pieces off with scissors until the surface is smooth. This will extend the lifetime of your sponge.
What Are Sea Sponges?
Sea sponges are plant-like creatures that grow in colonies in the ocean; Premium Sea Pearls comes from the Mediterranean. Sea sponges are the simplest form of multi-cellular animals and have no brain or nervous system.
What Makes Them Sustainable?
Sea sponges are a renewable resource as they possess remarkable powers of regeneration; they have the ability to regrow lost parts broken off by water currents. Sponge fragments can also settle in new locations and regrow into a clone of its parent sponge. When sponges are harvested, divers cut them so the base of the sponge remains intact; this ensures that the sponge has the ability to regrow and regenerate so they can return and harvest them over and over again.
Sea sponges reproduce sexually, however, most sponges are both female and male and will play either role during reproduction. When a sponge acts as a male, it releases sperm that travel and fertilize eggs in a sponge acting as a female. The fertilized eggs develop into baby sponges that are released into the water, they then settle down and start growing. The next time the sponges reproduce, they may change sexual roles.
How Are Sea Sponges Harvested?
Sponges are harvested by hand-cutting the sponge, or by using a hook and tearing the sponge free. Research has shown that cutting the sponge and leaving the base intact is the best method because it encourages a speedier regrowth. In areas where sponge diving is permitted, divers are required to harvest sponges by cutting rather than tearing the sponge free.
There are several measures in place to protect marine ecosystems and the sponge population:
- All sponges harvested must have a minimum dimension of 5 inches.
- There are over 5000 varieties of sponges, and only a small percentage are harvested for commercial use; these are generally not found in coral reef areas.
- Sponge harvesting is strictly prohibited in sanctuaries such as the Biscayne National Park and the Everglades National Park.
|Brand||Jade & Pearl|
|Included Contents||Small, Medium, Large Sizes: 2 Sponge Tampons & Bag & Booklet | Starter Pack: Small, Medium & Large Sponge & Bag & Booklet|
|Material||Natural sea sponge|
|Adjustable||Can be trimmed to fit|
|Does Not Include||synthetic fibres|
|Size||Teeny, Small, Medium and Large|