Kegel8 Menstrual Cup Starter Pack
- A great starter pack for women and girls who are new to menstrual cups or for young women getting their first period who want to start as they mean to go on: using period protection that is good for the environment and 100% body safe
- One menstrual cup holds 5 times more blood than a tampon or pad giving you 12 hours of protection
- This pack has everything you need to get started including 2 menstrual cups, clean spray for use on-the-go and a wash for home use, and a discreet cotton carry bag for hygiene
- One cup last up to 10 years with the proper care
- Manufactured using 100% medical grade silicone and free of phthalates, PVC and latex
Menstrual Cup vs Tampons: Why Should You Use A Menstrual Cup?
They are better for the planet. By purchasing the Kegel8® Menstrual Cup Starter Pack, you are doing your bit to save the planet. Over the 10 years you use one of your Kegel8® Menstrual Cups, you will reduce sanitary waste by approximately 4,500 towels or tampons (whichever you normally use) which take up to 500-800 years to fully decompose. As you get 2 cups in your Kegel8® Menstrual Cup Starter Pack, you can singlehandedly prevent around 9,000 harmful sanitary products entering our environment; products that will still be decomposing in the year 2518.
A menstrual cup holds more liquid. The average tampon holds between 6 and 9 grams of blood, The Kegel8® Menstrual Cup holds five times that amount! This means no more worrying about leaks or ruined bed sheets, your cup can stay put for 12 hours and offers fantastic protection
A Menstrual Cup Only Wants Your Blood. This sounds a little vampire-like, but it’s true! Tampons don’t just absorb blood, they remove the naturally occurring lining from the vaginal walls and soak up healthy discharge that your vagina needs to keep bacteria at the right levels, preventing thrush and other bacterial infections
No Need Cart Around A Selection of Tampons. The size of the tampon you use should reflect your daily flow. Using a tampon with absorbency capacities that are greater than your flow increases the likelihood of Toxic Shock Syndrome. This potentially means having to buy and carry with you 2 or maybe even 3 different types of tampon depending on your flow on any given day; the Kegel8® Menstrual Cup Starter Pack eliminates this issue
Pads Can Be Uncomfortable and Chemical Laden. Sanitary towels can feel like wearing a nappy, they aren’t the most comfortable option when you’re on your period and of course the bigger your flow, the bigger your pad. To neutralise the scent your period can produce; sanitary pads are treated with odour reducing chemicals that are unnatural and harmful if they reach the bloodstream
Stay Fresh and Clean All Day. Tampon strings become wet with urine which leaves you feeling particularly unclean and unhygienic. Your menstrual cup will have a stem you can cut to size that sits just inside the vagina, away from the stream of urine or faecal matter. This stem is how you remove your Kegel8® Menstrual Cup for emptying and cleaning, so when cutting, ensure you leave plenty of stem to grab and pull the cup out with.
Menstrual Cups and Endometriosis
One of the symptoms of Endometriosis is extremely heavy periods. If you suspect you have endometriosis and visit the doctor to discuss this with him or her, it will benefit you greatly to know how much blood you are losing during your period. Both cups in the Kegel8® Menstrual Cup Starter Pack have measurement lines, so you can precisely measure how much blood you are losing month by month. Did we mention that the Kegel8® Menstrual Cup holds 5 times more blood than a tampon? So even if you are plagued by very heavy periods, you will be much better protected using a menstrual cup.
How Do Menstrual Cups Work?
You insert the menstrual cup inside your vagina, to the same depth as you would a tampon. Once the cup is in place it will pop open (you may need to help it a little, but it’s easy enough to do!). Once opened up, you shouldn’t feel the cup at all and it sits comfortably inside your vagina catching the blood you lose for up to 12 hours. Whilst you may not fill the cup within 12 hours, you should empty it after this time for the best hygiene. The upside-down cone shape of the cup means it is very secure inside you, unlike tampons which can start to drop down after a little while or when you’ve put strain on the pelvic floor either through exercise or going to the loo.
What Do You Get in the Pack?
- 2 x Kegel8® Menstrual Cups: Keep one at home and another wherever you think you’ll need it, the car, your partner's house, at work – anywhere you are likely to get your period.
- 1 x 22ml Refillable Menstrual Cup Cleaning Spray: This handy, pocket-sized spray ensures you can keep your menstrual cup clean on the go. Use it in any toilet or public bathroom when you empty your menstrual cup. You just need a couple of spritzes and some toilet paper to wipe the cup down, re-insert the cup and you’re protected for another 12 hours. You can buy a larger bottle of this cleaning spray to refill your small bottle as and when you need it.
- 1 x 100ml Menstrual Cup Wash: This 100ml spray provides a thorough clean of your menstrual cup - simply rinse with warm water, lavish with the cleaning spray and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Rinse and dry before storing. It is an effective but gentle cleaner, developed specifically for menstrual cup use, meaning it won’t irritate or disrupt your vaginas natural PH levels.
- 1 x Cotton Carry Bag: The ethically sourced organic cotton carry bag means you can discreetly store your menstrual cup wherever you want to without it being susceptible to dirt, dust or inquisitive hands.
By purchasing the starter pack rather than each item individually, you save yourself a fabulous £11.97.
Which Size Menstrual Cup is Right for You?
We offer 2 sizes of menstrual cup:
Size A is recommended for women who have never given birth. Size A is 41mm (4.1cm/1.6inches) in diameter from outer edge to outer edge.
Size B is recommended for women who have given birth, this means any full-term delivery including c-section. Size B is 45mm (4.5cm/1.8inches) in diameter from outer edge to outer edge.
The size of the menstrual cup you need will also depend on your body shape and size, so even if you haven’t given birth, the larger size may be better for you. Similarly, you may have had a c-section but feel nothing has really changed since giving birth, in which case the smaller size may be suitable for you. You may wish to purchase size B if you have never given birth but have a heavy flow.
We recommend you get an idea of the sizes of our menstrual cups using a measuring tape or calculator before purchasing.
- Pack A includes 2 size A menstrual cups
- Pack B includes 2 size B menstrual cups
- Pack A+B includes one menstrual cup in each size. You may wish to purchase this pack if you are unsure what size you will require. Or, if you are planning on having a baby you can use size A pre-birth and size B post-birth if you feel it necessary
Removing Your Menstrual Cup
The cup has a stem attached to the bottom of it, to remove the cup you simply pull down on the stem and it will pop right out. Empty the contents down the loo, spritz your cup with your handy pocket-sized cleaning spray (or, if you’re at home rinse under the tap), then re-insert, simple! The Kegel8® Menstrual Cup has air holes in the top to ensure easy removal. Some cheaper or older versions of menstrual cups don’t have these holes, creating a risk that air may get trapped within the cup, sucking it up towards the cervix and making removal very difficult. No holes at the top will lead to you tugging at the cup or bearing down to ease it out. Tugging and bearing down can drag on and weaken the pelvic floor muscles. Kegel8® is all about strong pelvic floor muscles so we know how important these holes are to your pelvic health. If you, like others have heard stories of this happening and been put off using a cup, don’t fret; the design of the Kegel8® Menstrual Cup eliminates this risk.
Unless certified organic, the vast majority of tampons used in the UK are manufactured using harsh chemicals to treat the cotton (it doesn’t end up so beautifully white on its own!) They also contain plastic, one of the reasons they are so hard to break down for decomposition. Do you really want to insert chemicals such as Rayon, Dioxin, Fragrance, Chlorine, and BPA’s inside you? The skin inside and surrounding the vagina is extremely permeable, these harsh and dangerous chemicals can easily enter your bloodstream over the years. By purchasing the Kegel8® Menstrual Cup Starter Pack you can rest assured knowing you’re managing your periods using nothing but 100% medical-grade silicone that is phthalate, PVC and latex-free.
|Ingredients||Menstrual cup wash: Aqua, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Lactic Acid, Panthenol, Parfum, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil|
|Recommended For||Outstanding period protection that is safe for your body and the environment.|
|Included Contents||Please see the product description.|
|Material||Carry Bag: 100% cotton | Menstrual cups: 100% medical grade silicone|
|Length||Measured from the tip of the removal stem to top of the cup. Large: 7.6cm (76mm/3inches) Small: 7cm (70mm/2.7inches) Removal stem can be cut shorter as desired.|