Great British Service
Free UK Delivery Over £50
100% Discreet Packaging & Billing
Cold, Sore Fingers? Practical Solutions for Raynaud’s Phenomenon
This entry was posted on 24/01/2017.
Many of us suffer from cold fingers and toes, particularly in cold weather. But how can you tell if it’s due to something more serious? Raynaud’s disease affects up to 10 million people in the UK and can lead to more serious conditions. Find out what it is and how to treat it below.
Do you have any of the following Raynaud’s disease symptoms?
- Cold fingers and toes
- Skin that changes colour in response to cold or stress (from white to blue to red)
- Tingling, numbness or pain in fingers and toes
- Throbbing, stinging pain when you start to warm up or calm down again
Raynaud’s syndrome is underdiagnosed because so many people get cold hands and feet as part of their normal life. It’s caused by over-sensitive blood vessels which narrow in response to the cold and stop circulating blood properly. This is what leads to unusually bad coldness and discomfort.
There are two types of Raynaud’s Phenomenon – primary and secondary. Primary Raynaud’s is largely harmless, just causing pain when symptoms flare up. Secondary Raynaud’s is a sign that you have an autoimmune condition like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. 1 in 10 people with primary Raynaud’s end up developing an autoimmune condition. Your GP can help you find out which type you have and tell you if you need more help.
Raynaud’s treatment at home with StressNoMore
Whichever type of Raynaud’s you’ve been diagnosed with, there are steps you can take at home to reduce your symptoms:
- Stop smoking: cigarettes will make your circulation worse
- Exercise regularly: exercising improves circulation and reduces stress
- Reduce stress: eat well, take time to relax and make sure you’re not doing too much
When it comes to relieving the pain and coldness associated with the symptoms of Raynaud’s, it’s as simple as keeping warm. We’ve got lots of ways you can do this:
- The Jocca Foot Warmer and Massager will warm up your feet while boosting your circulation with soothing massage.
- Take the rechargeable Lanaform Hand Warmer out and about with you; it offers 4 hours of wonderful heat!
- For added warmth under your normal clothes, try our Fleece Arm, Leg and Hand Warmer Set.
- Snuggle up on the couch with a Lanaform Heating Overblanket; keeping your whole body warm will help your symptoms.