Great British Service

Free UK Delivery Over £50

100% Discreet Packaging & Billing

It's Prostate Cancer Awareness Month; we're part of Men United, are you?

As March has arrived ever so quickly; Prostate Cancer UK has taken the UK by storm this month in aid to raise awareness for Prostate Cancer. Keeping friendships alive and uniting men to become more aware of prostate cancer.

The prostate is a walnut shaped gland that is found underneath the bladder, surrounding the urethra; its main job is to produce most of the semen that carries the sperm. There are three common problems with the prostate gland:

• An enlarged prostate, which is the most common problem; this is when the prostate grows and wraps itself around the urethra causing a need to go to the toilet more often and an increase in sensitivity on the bladder.
  • Prostatitis is where the prostate gland becomes infected and inflamed; in some cases it can be incredibly painful.
  • Prostate cancer

Having an enlarged or inflamed prostate does not mean you have prostate cancer, which is often what it is mistaken for. It does not put you at greater risk of developing prostate cancer as the conditions begin in different parts of the prostate. However, it can be possible for a man to have both an enlarged prostate and prostate cancer at the same time. But it is usually very unlikely that a man will experience painful urinary symptoms in the early stages of prostate cancer, hence the urgency for men to visit their GP!

In the UK alone, 1 in 8 men will experience prostate cancer at some point in their lives which averages out to two players in every single football team, from the Championship to Sunday League, will develop prostate cancer in the future – how scary is that thought?!

Like all cancers; when found early, treating prostate cancer becomes less severe. But it’s diagnosing the cancer which is the first hurdle.

What are the signs you should look for:

• Needing to go to the toilet more frequently, especially at night and if you need to go again quite shortly after (2 hours)
  • Difficulty in beginning to urinate
  • Straining or difficulty in taking a  long time to finish and emptying the bladder
  • Feeling like you haven’t emptied your bladder properly
  • Rushing to the toilet and potentially leaking before reaching the toilet
  • Incontinence “dribbling”

Visiting the GP for a prostate examination can seem embarrassing, but if you are seeing your GP for urinary symptoms, prostate problems or if you are more at risk of developing prostate cancer; because these conditions are treated differently, a quick examination with your GP is crucial so you can get the right diagnosis and treatment.

To show our support; StressNoMore have taken 10% off all prostate massagers, products and cushions for those who are undergoing or have gone through prostate cancer treatment. For our competition this week we are giving away one Gelco GSeat!

This is all you have to do to win yourself a Gelco G Seat Pressure Cushion:

1. Liking and sharing our Facebook page
  2. Following us on Twitter and tweet @stressnomoreuk #ProstateCancerAwareness #MenUnited
  3. Leaving us a comment on this blog – do you have any tips on how to relieve pelvic pain?

You can do all three, giving three entries and three chances of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

After submitting your entry, make sure that you click on the “I’ve tweeted”, “I’ve commented”, “I’ve visited” button, so your entry is counted.

For example: After tweeting us, copy and paste the URL tweet and then click this button:Capture twitter

Competition closes Monday 23rd of March at 4:00pm. The winner will notified by email, and must claim within one week. Offer open to UK residents aged 18 and over.

23 thoughts on “It's Prostate Cancer Awareness Month; we're part of Men United, are you?”

• Diane Hicklin
    Diane Hicklin 16/03/2015 at 16:53

I have been suffering with female pelvic pain and so far haven't found any relief other than from prescription medication.

• Helen Battle
    Helen Battle 16/03/2015 at 21:03

Sometimes i find that placing something cold on the area helps

• Rachel Craig
    Rachel Craig 16/03/2015 at 21:14

Pelvic pain I find is difficult to address / ease. Though I do find it helps to do some mild exercise/s such as Tai Chi etc

• Chris Andrews
    Chris Andrews 17/03/2015 at 10:57

Leaving us a comment on this blog – do you have any tips on how to relieve pelvic pain?........no, l am seeking advice though as my partner has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer

• Suzanne Drummond
    Suzanne Drummond 17/03/2015 at 13:17

cold compress or heat lamp helps

• Miriam Said
    Miriam Said 18/03/2015 at 02:21

A tens pain machine might work on pelvic pain, as I have arthritis in both of my hips, spine, knees, ankles, feet, spine, nech, shoulder, wrists and hands I am on morphine, but before that the tens machine was quite good for pain relief or sitting in a bath of cold water also helped.

• jodie yorke
    jodie yorke 18/03/2015 at 23:54

i suffer from terrible pelvic pain and as yet have found no one to relieve it.

• Greig spencer
    Greig spencer 19/03/2015 at 18:25

a nice hot bath

• Mark Chamberlin
    Mark Chamberlin 20/03/2015 at 16:03

A hot water bottle works for me!

• Kayleigh White
    Kayleigh White 20/03/2015 at 18:21

I have no tips unfortunately, but I'm having tests because I suffer with pelvic pain on a daily basis.

• David Bell
    David Bell 20/03/2015 at 22:50

I'm in my late 60s, diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis probably resulting from years of abusing my back lifting at work and over-enthusiastic gardening. Keen golfer, but couldn't play because of lower back spasms. Eventually was in agony getting out of the chair to cross the room. My trusty GP prescribed Codeine with Paracetemol which I gather = Morphine at the highest dose and this helped enormously, but......and this is why I'm commenting, I feared the damage taking these pills at high doses would do to me, so my daughter did research on supplements. She came up with Turmeric with its active ingredient Curcumen. Its effect on this sceptic has been nothing short of miraculous. I take just 2 codeine/paracetemol per day (maybe 4 if I'm playing golf) but never up to the 8 I was taking. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory; I told my GP and he was not surprised, as he had advised it to a relative. A golfing friend in his 70s has had a similar reaction to mine and can't thank me enough. I also think the particular branded product is important as my daughter found the one which has the highest concentration of circumen. I'd love to name it but I'd hate to be thought a fraud just marketing a product. It won't work for all back ailments I know, but please if you have lower back pain give it try. I'm 6 months in now; as supplements go it's not expensive, so there's little to lose. It would be nice if I helped someone as I know how this pain becomes so debilitating.

• Elizabeth Smith
    Elizabeth Smith 21/03/2015 at 14:24

A warm bath helps a little, but not much

• James Travis

Pilates

• Lyndsey Beckford
    Lyndsey Beckford 22/03/2015 at 22:33

I use a heat bag

• Natalie Crossan
    Natalie Crossan 23/03/2015 at 00:46

I've always found a hot water bottle helpful xx

• Penelope Hannibal
    Penelope Hannibal 23/03/2015 at 00:48

I have trouble with this due to being wheelchair bound & having a tilted pelvis (apparently) I also suffer with joint pain in general. I find applying a hot water bottle & changing position as much as possible (laying down) helps somewhat but there is little else I can do, I think a bath may help but I have to use a wet room so don't have this option sadly. :)

• Eleanor Powell
    Eleanor Powell 23/03/2015 at 07:52

No sorry no tips from me :(

• Karen Foster
    Karen Foster 23/03/2015 at 09:05

I've found that pilates and yoga are beginning to help with pain relief, including pelvic pain.

• Lorraine